PreservatiOn and promotion of cUltural and natural heRitage through GreenWAYs
The OUR WAY project aims to contribute to the conserving, protecting, promoting and developing natural and cultural heritage in Europe using Greenways by means of the improvement of policy instruments related to the cultural and natural quality of the territories involved, including tools for their governance and developing specific measures for their promotion and preservation.
The project partnership is composed by 6 European regions in Spain, Ireland, Poland, France and Hungary with different levels at developing, managing and promoting natural and cultural heritage in and around Greenways as well as an advisory partner, the European Network of Greenways with large experience and knowledge in the project field.
The project intends to improve coordination among the different key actors:
- to develop governance systems to manage Greenways;
- to identify models and good practices for the protection and maintenance of Greenways;
- to identify financial instruments and funding for Greenways and
- to promote Greenways and product development.
The interregional cooperation is essential in order to identify, exchange and transfer of practices among regions and, what is more important to plan and prepare specific Action Plans to integrate lessons learned from the interregional cooperation in regional policies programmes.
The launch of the OUR WAY project comes at an ideal time for the Northern & Western region as the Irish government’s Department of Transport, Tourism and Sports recently a launched a National Strategy for the Development of Greenways along with a fund of €53m for Local Authorities to develop regional and National Greenways. In addition to this, all of the Local Authorities in the Northern & Western Region are currently and developing and expanding their Greenway Network and the project provides regional stakeholders with the opportunity to learn from Good Practices and models in other EU regions.
Project start date: 2018-06-01
Project end date: 2022-11-30
Project status: Ongoing
Total budget/expenditure: € 9647,244
- Murcia Region Institute of Tourism. Lead Partner of the Project. Spain
- Northern and Western Regional Assembly. Ireland
- Podkarpackie Region. Poland
- Departamental Council of Herault. France
- Hajdú-Bihar County Government. Hungary
- Chamber of Commerce and Industry-Vratsa. Bulgaria
- European Greenways Association. Belgium